Saturday, May 1, 2010

Second Chances

“Every breath is a second chance”

“Every breath you take is not yours to own”

“I need your breath in my lungs tonight”

The quotes above are from three different songs from the band Switchfoot. As I was thinking about these lyrics I was impressed with the thought that most of what we accomplish in life is brought about because we have second chances. Oftentimes many more chances than even that to get something right, to try over and over until we match whatever perfection our standards demand of us.

For many, that perfect standard is subjective, changing, modifiable. I need something a little more concrete than that. I need a standard that is generated outside my own mind, outside my own sense of right and wrong. And so I look to the Creator of all that there is to see what His expectations are for me. Even then I have to do some interpreting based on my own life experiences, viewed through my own lens. Still, I try to see things as He sees them, from His eternal perspective. You might even say I try to put myself in His shoes.

Having been given many second chances in life I recognize that any breath could be my last and that I truly don’t own that next breath. I need to make the most of each and every breath I take. I need to use each breath to contribute to making the universe a better place. I must acknowledge that the breath I need in my lungs is His breath. The word inspired just means to breathe into. I yearn for His inspiration. I’m thankful for His inspiration.

When we embrace the second chances our Father gives us, hanging on to the hope he puts in front of us, accepting the restoration He offers us, we get a glimpse of His full love; a place where the heavenly meets the earthly to inspire us to completeness and perfection.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. This is so true. We need to use our lives at the best. Any breath can be our last.
    Happy Sunday!:)

    ReplyDelete