Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Quiet Spirit

“The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever.”

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how annoying and disheartening it is to be around loud, boisterous people. Now I’m not talking about people who are full of life and enjoy every moment with enthusiasm and exuberance. I love being around those people. No, I’m thinking more of those for whom every moment is an opportunity to bring drama to their life and yours if you will let them. I’m thinking of those who find a problem in every situation, or something to criticize about almost everyone they meet.

There are those who seem to flourish by constantly ratcheting up the emotional turmoil, to keep things stirred up for the sake of a continual emotional high. They talk and gossip and oppose for the sake of getting a reaction. It’s draining to interact with people like that.

I like quiet people. I like sitting in a room or riding in a car with someone who can be comfortable sitting in silence. I don’t really mind talkative people either as long as their spirit is quiet and at rest. I have friends that I can just sit and listen to for hours, because their conversation is peaceful and uplifting. Their words bring insight and light and life to me, not just noise and clutter, or their opinion about all that is wrong with the world.

I’m pretty sure I was meant to be a recluse. I’ve known it since I was a kid. I don’t crave constant social interaction. I’m content with having just a couple of really close friends (my wife being first on the list). The irony in all of this is that in both my vocation (sales) and my avocation (pastor) I’m required to have constant interaction with people. I’m expected to be social. I’m expected to voice my opinion about things I don’t want to voice my opinion about. I’m expected to accept loud and boisterous people as part of what I do and who I am.

Sometimes life’s road takes some strange turns. One day soon I hope to evaluate the reclusive lifestyle a little more closely. I don’t think I want to go live in a cave or anything, because I really do like people a lot. I can just do without the dramatic touch some bring into our lives.

2 comments:

  1. I like people who speak naturally. There words aren't made up and are true from their heart. Beautiful post...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to be quiet because it means you are a good listener. I signed up to follow you. And you may be interested in a post I just wrote about the "Solitary Man". I'll be back again.
    http://www.boomerpie.com/

    ReplyDelete