Friday, February 18, 2011

Hammer and Nails

Took a walk around the block
Strains of Fogerty, Foreman, and Powell
Bending my ears, cold harsh wind hurting my ears
Looking for light at the end of the tunnel
Asking for His presence to come down
Trying to make sense of the space around me
Running with the crowd, running against the crowd
Rising above the crowd, not much liking the crowd
The silliness of what makes sense to some
The magnificence of what make sense to some
The despair of what makes sense to some
Violence and terror in dogged pursuit of souls
We buy into the pleasure of it all
The guilt, the guilt and shame we don’t much like
But the pleasure, we enjoy the pleasure for a season
All sin is violent I’ve heard it said
Never a truer statement I think
We drive the nails in hard
With the hammer we possess
We didn’t have to accept the hammer
But we like the hammer, the violence gives us peace
Wonder why my brother has to talk
About me in such a manner
You know he talks about you that way too
Better to keep silent and not defend such thoughts
There is light at the end of the tunnel
But it’s greatly diminished through the dark glass
Wisdom says to choose your friends wisely
Attitude, character, and vision count
Happiness is overrated
But joy, now that’s something to value
Visions of paradise keep the hammer out of my hands
Eyes on the heavens manifest true friends
More than a walk around the block
Reaching beside, reaching above
Walking hand in hand on the narrow path
Filled with life, filled with love
Filled with joy for the life ahead

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for becoming a follower of my blog! I thought I would check out your blog as well. I love this poem. I can relate to the imagery of the choice of sin and the choice of life. Beautiful! I have become your newest follower. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete