Monday, December 6, 2010

The Deactivation

It started as a small joke almost two years ago. My wonderful wife had been persuaded by her cousin to join the ranks of the Facebook community. She signed up to keep in touch with a few friends and relatives who live in distant places. Now, I had absolutely no desire to join Facebook, but I do like to make my wife smile so I opened up an account and asked my wife to be my only FB friend.

Lo and behold, she refused! Not only that, she wrote me an e-mail letting me know I had to prove myself worthy to be her FB friend. We had fun with that for about a week, until one day my sister invited me to be her friend. I informed my wife I now had a friend on FB and didn’t need her to be my friend anymore. :D

Ok, so we had a lot of fun with that, made each other laugh and moved on. But before I could close down my account I was getting several friend requests...and starting saying yes. So getting to my point, I enjoyed reconnecting with a whole bunch of people over the last 20 months that popped back up in my world. Some that I lost touch with many years ago.

The other side of that of course is watching people use Facebook as a place for gossip and all other kinds of rude behavior that I probably would never see of them in “real” life. More than that though is the time consumer it can become. I need to make place in my life for other things that are more important to me than Facebook. So after threatening to do it for a few months I finally pulled the plug on my FB account yesterday. I looked at the left of my wall and saw 144 friends. I thought that was a good number to end things with.

The interesting thing about Facebook is that you can never actually delete your account. You can only deactivate. So to everyone that was a friend it removes all comments, pictures, and every other interaction you have ever had with them. You are gone. But all it takes to reactivate the account is to sign back in with your user name and password and voila, you are reconnected like nothing ever happened. I guess it’s just the way of our world. :)

2 comments:

  1. Long time ago, when I went to get rid of my Facebook...I was so shocked that you cannot permanently get rid of it...that its always just there. I thought it was the oddest thing ever. I ended up doing the same thing and getting rid of personal info. and pictures then I deactivated hoping that would be good enough.
    At least with myspace you can fully get rid of your account. Quite frankly..facebook kinda freaks me out.
    LoL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, FB is kind of intrusive. :)

    ReplyDelete